Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Lardon Truck

It's BAAAAAAAAAAAAACON!!!!!!!!!!!


(Brian scoping out the truck--I wanted a shot from the street, but it was so bright out and traffic was heavy enough that I gave up.)

Today, my friend Brian and I checked out The Lardon Truck while it was parked in Sherman Oaks.

Upon arriving, there was no line, which boggled my mind--how was there not a line down the block for this tasty, tasty fare?!?!

The menu is chosen with care and packed with greatness. I opted to get two items so I could try more than one thing, since Brian had already eaten lunch (he missed out--and said so, once he saw what I had).


(On the left are the bacon pancakes...on the right, the breakfast sandwich...yum!)

The dish I was looking forward to the most was the "bacon pancakes with bacon bourbon maple syrup"--which, of course, I ordered! :) It was good beyond my wildest expectations. The right kind of sweet and salty, with just enough of a hint of maple, as opposed to being overwhelmed by the taste of it. The serving is perfect for one person--not too much, not too little, and leaves enough that you could easily sample another item and not feel stuffed. I also liked that the pancakes were not overdone--sometimes, that happens with a lot of pancakes, and you end up with a sort of chewy/tough texture. Not so with these puppies. I can't wait to have them again!

I also ordered the breakfast sandwich ("smoked bacon, eggs over easy (although I had mine over medium) & cheddar"), which was also good. The roll it comes on is just chewy enough to add something interesting to the sandwich without making it difficult to eat. The cheddar was a good compliment to everything, and the bacon was wonderful--I swear, it had a little bit of sweetness to it. I also caught what I thought was black pepper in the sandwich, too. Overall, it'd be a solid choice for someone looking for a breakfast-at-any-time sort of meal.

We spent a lot of time hanging out in front of the truck, in the shade of their canopy (to hide from the 90+ degree Valley sun!). They provided a handful of small stools, which made for a great little place to sit down and eat. :) I have to say, everyone working on the truck was incredibly cool--very nice, gracious folks! Really made the visit even better! They were so nice that I even donated some change to the parking meter for the truck's spot. :) Just before we took off, we were offered some free bottles of water and a Lark brownie with bacon/Nutella spread on the house. So kind of them!


(So tasty...ignore the bite mark on the right side of it...)

I had one bite of the brownie and sent it home with Brian, since he was full from his earlier lunch when he stopped by to meet me and hadn't had a chance to eat anything from the truck (even though I offered tasters of my dishes, like a good friend). It was awesome. The brownie itself is intense, and the combination of the Nutella and the bacon mixes well--very sweet and salty mix, which adds to the richness of everything and gives it almost a liqueur taste. Super decadent!

I'm looking forward to a going again and trying the baco (sans horseradish, if possible, because I am a total wuss). :)

You can follow the Lardon Truck on Twitter and Facebook to find out their schedule and check out their website at http://getyourlardon.com. We were told that they mostly hit up the Valley, Hollywood/Silverlake, with some stops on the west side. They are totally worth the drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment