Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Search for Chicago Deep Dish Pizza: N.Y.&C. Pizzeria vs. the memory of Lou Malnati's

So, ya'll should know that I am originally from Chicago (despite my use of "ya'll"), and I take my pizza very, VERY seriously. You do not trifle with Deep Dish. Yes, I capitalize the words. Just like one would capitalize God, Barbie or The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I have been on a search to find good Deep Dish Pizza in LA. I have my requirements, which are very specific. Many people believe that Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is like pan pizza. It is not. Not in my world. Don't get me wrong, I love me some pan pizza. I really do. But pan is not Deep Dish.

So, the other day, I went to N.Y.&C. Pizzeria & Bar in Santa Monica, to see a man about a pizza.


(Hey, a menu!)

The restaurant offers both NY and Chicago style pizzas. And, while I don't mind NY pizza now and then, I was there for my hometown pride.

Sad to say, this wasn't up to snuff.

While they do seem to get the right idea behind the crust--that it is more of a dough shell than a fluffy dough--the pizza failed to impress me on a few levels. First, the most grievous offense: it was seriously lacking in cheese...which made the excess of sauce seem even more excessive. It was also a little bland. Now, some places mess it up by adding in the wrong kind of flavors (i.e. making a sauce that is far too sweet--I'm looking at you, Masa of Echo Park), but this was just...forgettable. It also seemed weirdly soggy. Perhaps that's not the correct term for what it was, because I am honestly having a hard time remembering the specifics. That is not a good sign.

I tend to like my pizza a little on the salty/buttery side, with ample cheese and either easy sauce or at least sauce that complements the rest of the pizza well. There was simply way too much sauce on this pie. And, it wasn't even memorable.


(Hey, it's a pizza!)

I feel like a bit of an asshat for bitching about the pizza, but you must understand: Deep Dish Pizza is holy to me. I come from the city that spawned Lou Malnati's. You better bring your A Game if you're gonna try to sell Deep Dish to a Chicagoan.

So, N.Y.&C. might have some decent NY pie--haven't tried it--but the Chicago Deep Dish failed to impress me. My suggestion for true Deep Dish, since I can't seem to find it in LA, is to get it direct from the source. "But, That's Crazy Talk! Lou Malnati's is only in Chicago!" Oh, my dears, that is why The Flying Spaghetti Monster gave us the gift of Tastes of Chicago! Yes, that's right. You can have a Lou Malnati's pie shipped across the country, to your front door. Do it. It's worth it.

Also, it should be noted, that I am willing to take donations of Lou's Deep Dish Pizza in lieu of gifts this year. Or, really just for any reason whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment